hi there, thanks for stopping by.
What follows is a bit lengthy, but will give you a better idea of what we do, what a person in this role would do and how we work. Our only request is that you please read it all carefully to ensure the role is truly a fit before applying.
Work ethic is about showing up, being on time, being reliable, doing what you say you’re going to do, being trustworthy, putting in a fair day’s work, respecting the work, respecting the customer, respecting the organization, respecting co-workers, not wasting time, not making work hard for other people, not creating unnecessary work for other people, not being a bottleneck, not faking work. Work ethic is about being a fundamentally good person that others can count on and enjoy working with.
–Jason Fried, Founder & CEO at Basecamp
what we do
You know those websites that make it impossible to add an item to your cart, sign up for a newsletter or enter your credit card information? Sooo frustrating, right?! Instead of buying the pants or entering your email, you throw up your hands, mutter a curse word or two and immediately head over to YouTube to watch cat videos.
At surefoot, we make life easier for web surfers and shoppers like you.
We ease user frustrations, improve conversions, and provide quant/qual data to help our clients make sound, data-informed business decisions.
How, you ask?
In short, we formulate hypotheses based on data from sources like customer research, Google Analytics, and Hotjar, which allow us to identify the biggest friction points on our clients’ sites. Then, we validate or invalidate our hypotheses in the form of A/B tests, whose results we analyze to determine the optimal site experience.
ux researcher role and requirements
As a UX Researcher at surefoot, you will interact with project managers, UX designers and occasionally, our clients. Your primary role will consist of helping improve our clients’ websites by conducting user research and synthesizing the results to help identify and prioritize the highest-leverage A/B tests.
**Something important we want you to know ahead of time is this job may be a bit different than your standard research gig in that you won’t be working on a single site or app for several months in a row. Instead, you’ll be working on various projects for a variety of clients. One day it could be configuring a card sort, the next could be scheduling and conducting user interviews.
TL;DR – if you’re someone who enjoys “deep working” on the same product or app day-in-and-day-out, this gig probably won’t light your fire.
this role is probably a fit if the following excite you:
- Partnering with project teams to understand and determine research needs, and UX/UI designers to brainstorm solutions to key user problems and pain points.
- Helping guide our clients’ growth roadmaps by identifying users’ pain points and understanding/advocating for their needs.
- Owning the user research process soup-to-nuts and leading activities like recruiting participants, creating user testing plans, conducting Zoom user tests (video on!), building surveys, analyzing results, compiling reports, and presenting findings.
- Conducting research via a mixture of qualitative and quantitative methods and using it to inform various aspects of growth, including personas, A/B tests, copy, and more.
- Learning more about people and what makes them tick, throws them off, and keeps them engaged.
- Working flexibly and efficiently.
- 3-5+ years research experience, particularly for e-commerce/web.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with good “email voice”.
Self-motivation, ability to work independently and remotely, the desire to continuously learn and grow.
- Hands-on experience gathering requirements, prioritizing, planning research, identifying and recruiting participants, gathering data, analyzing & summarizing results, and sharing findings.
- Comfort making design recommendations based on research and best practices.
- Comfort talking to strangers and walking them through prototypes without leading them to answers.
- A love of asking questions, seeking answers, and working with others to solve unique and interesting design problems.
- Experience with research tools, such as Respondent.io, Optimal Workshop, Typeform, etc.
- Hobbies outside of work.
- Examples demonstrating how you’ve influenced teams or companies to become more user-centric.
- Experience with A/B testing and the armchair psychology behind what motivates people to do the things they do.
- Experience with analytics tools such as Google Analytics, Heap or Hotjar.
- Funny GIF library, good emoji usage, sense of humor.
nitty gritty details
- This position is 1099 contract to start, but could grow into a part-time or full-time W2 role as the company continues to grow.
- The team is fully remote (even pre-COVID), and the role allows freedom and flexibility of location.
- This position currently offers between 15-25 hours/week at $50-$60/hr, depending on experience.
- The position is open to U.S.-based applicants only. No Visa sponsorship is provided.
our values and culture
Our values are extremely important to us and we stake the company on them. This means that even the Grand Poobah of Personas won’t be considered if our values don’t align.
give a damn. In case you haven’t noticed, this is a big one for us and we put it front-and-center in everything we do. We give a damn about our clients and refuse to waiver on doing what is best for them, even if it means less upside for us. We give a damn about our work, so we always go the extra mile to ensure we are proud of the things we stamp our names on. We give a damn about each other, so we strive to infuse kindness throughout our interactions – with clients, each other, our communities, and all those we meet. And finally, we give a damn about the environment, which is why we’re proudly Climate Neutral and partners of 1% For The Planet.
own your mistakes, learn from them, and move on. Our preferred path is to “fail fast”. In other words, identify your mistakes, take ownership, discuss what you learned, identify solutions for ways to correct them so they don’t happen again, and move on.
channel your inner entrepreneur. If a process or task is hindering you in some way, don’t wait to be asked to fix it. Like Nike says, Just Do It™. Make it work for you. Experiment. You’re a smart, capable person so don’t ask permission. Arrive with a well-thought-out solution that makes it easy for everyone to say “yes” to, you smarty, you.
ready to apply?
Since we are a fully remote team, we have a somewhat atypical interview process. For the first step of the interview phase, we ask applicants to show basic competency in the necessary skill sets. If all is well there, you’ll move on to phase two which involves doing actual paid work with us to determine fit for both parties.
To apply, submit our application form with the following:
- your responses to these 2 short exercises: https://sf.surefoot.me/na118Q
- relevant experience you have with user research, A/B testing, personas, etc.
- contact info for 1-2 references (will only be contacted if you move through phase 1)
All applicants will receive a response. surefoot is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.