hi there, thanks for stopping by.
What follows is a bit lengthy, but will give you a better idea of what we do, what this role entails and how to apply.
what we do
We’re a boutique growth agency that gives a damn about our work, our clients, our people, and doing the right thing. We specialize in:
- user experience research and design
- full-service a/b testing and personalization (aka conversion rate optimization)
- data analytics
about your role and team
If you would rather feel trusted to use your expertise and problem-solve than have your manager hawking over your shoulder micromanaging you, keep reading! Here at surefoot, we give you the time and space to “deep work” so you can focus on driving real value and actually see the positive impacts of your hard work. No one wants to waste time nit-picking annoying details and finger-pointing in meetings all day, especially not you!
In addition to delivering strategic insights and value to e-commerce clients like Hydro Flask, Peak Design, Made In and OXO, you will work closely with kind, supportive co-workers who respect you and your time – both at and away from the virtual office. You will be given trust and autonomy to problem solve and your hard work will be recognized by peers, leadership, and clients. We believe when smart people collaborate instead of compete and bring solutions instead of problems, amazing things happen.
You will occasionally collaborate with our clients. We believe in bending over backwards (but not forwards) to make sure they’re happy. Our goal is to be the best, most helpful agency they’ve ever worked with. To help us achieve that goal, we encourage you to share and celebrate your authentic self day in-and-day-out with co-workers and clients alike. Even if it means letting your “weird” show every once in awhile.
We’ll be honest; surefoot isn’t for everyone. We expect you to use your expertise, make decisions without a lot of oversight, go above and beyond to help a teammate or client, spend time to thoughtfully communicate asynchronously, and manage your own work schedule. If you’re a humble team player who likes to see and contribute to the success of something greater than yourself, then we want you to apply. Now.
senior growth product manager role description
As a senior growth product manager, you’ll lead surefoot’s efforts to convert, engage and retain our clients’ customers through on-site A/B testing and personalization. You’ll need to be data-driven and creative and feel comfortable establishing a strategic vision / roadmap so you can execute with confidence and excellence. Most of our clients are e-commerce, so a deep understanding of that world and experience within it are required.
If you have an entrepreneurial bent, you’ll love this role! We’ll look to you to take ownership over the testing and personalization strategy and execute an innovative, fast-moving and results-oriented testing program. You’ll roll up your sleeves and do the work alongside a hardworking, whip-smart team of ux researchers, ux designers, developers and data analysts. You’ll be responsible for digging into user data and identifying high-value test ideas that align with customer problems and client KPI’s, and regularly translate data to plain English for client stakeholders. Successful growth product managers are collaborative, analytical, strategic and able to clearly articulate technical concepts. Oh, and it helps if you pride yourself on delivering thoughtful, customer-centric experiences to end users.
a day in the life of a senior growth product manager
- start your morning with a cup ‘o joe and fire up your computer to check emails, Slack, check-in on live test results, etc.
- it’s 10:30 CST, time for our team video stand-up to chit chat with teammates a bit, then talk about what tasks you are completing today and any blockers.
- shortly after stand-up, you’ll hop on an hour-long client call (video camera on!) along with a project manager. You’ll start by talking with clients about anything other than the weather (weird news you recently read, the trip you know they just got back from, y’know, actual interesting stuff). Once you’ve chit-chatted a bit, you’ll present a data story from a recent winning test, and talk about the data-informed hypotheses you’ve prioritized for the upcoming month. Once the project manager recaps the call, you’ll bid your client friends goodbye ‘til next time.
- after a stretch break and a #self-care Slack post to enter the monthly gift card drawing, you’re back at your desk reviewing the results of a recent batch of user interviews and refining the results so they’re digestible and easy for a client to understand.
- you spend your early afternoon reviewing a recent inconclusive A/B test, watching user interview videos and brainstorming with a data analyst to identify the Next Great Idea™.
- it’s time for your weekly check-in with your project manager, where you’ll review each client’s updates for the upcoming week and progress from the week prior.
- after this call, you’ll respond to a few client email/slack messages that have come in and check in on #watercooler to interact with teammates before you wrap things up for the day.
- 5-8+ years of professional experience as a product manager, account director, director of e-commerce or similar role.
- 2+ years of e-commerce experience, either agency or client-side.
- people management experience with demonstrable examples of how you’ve led a team and helped others learn and grow.
- top notch communicator with approachable, grammatically correct writing style.
- experience and comfort presenting to clients and stakeholders.
- exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail (e.g., if you found an error in this job description, it is still bugging you).
- experience with A/B testing or personalization
- experience with tools like Google Analytics, HotJar or FullStory, Google Drive suite
- some knowledge of basic HTML/CSS (even console dev) experience creating low fidelity mock-ups
- management training or coursework completion
- working knowledge of statistical frameworks and concepts pertinent to A/B testing, including Frequentist and Bayesian statistics, p-values, confidence intervals, minimum detectable effect, etc.
- experience with tools like Optimizely, Dynamic Yield, VWO, HotJar
salary and benefits
The position is full-time W-2 and open to U.S.-based applicants only. No Visa sponsorship is provided.
- Base salary: $130,000 to $150,000 (depending on experience)
- Benefits and perks:
- all remote, always (we were remote pre-COVID!)
- health insurance – we pay 80% of your premium, up to $400
- 2.5 weeks paid vacation to start (more accrued annually)
- 11 paid holidays
- $2,000 technology / WFH office budget
- two 1/2 day Fridays per month
- self-care bonuses
- Climate Neutral $200 smart thermostat reimbursement
- $400 learning budget
- new hire and client referral bonuses
- …more as the company grows, with your input solicited on benefits that matter to you!
ready to apply?
Great, we’re looking forward to meeting you! To get the ball rolling, please submit this form.
If all is well there, you’ll move on to phase two which involves a Zoom video call to get to know one another a bit better. If we’re feeling good about that, we’ll contact your references.
And finally, if your references check out and confirm you’re not a stabber, we’ll ask you to do some actual paid work with us to determine fit for both parties. We call this a “paid interview”, and it’s a nice way for both parties to get a feel for one another’s work, communication style and more.
All applicants will receive a response. surefoot is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.