hi there, thanks for stopping by.
What follows is a bit lengthy, but will give you a better idea of what we do, what a person in this role would do and how we work. Our only request is that you please read it all carefully to ensure the role is truly a fit before applying.
Work ethic is about showing up, being on time, being reliable, doing what you say you’re going to do, being trustworthy, putting in a fair day’s work, respecting the work, respecting the customer, respecting the organization, respecting co-workers, not wasting time, not making work hard for other people, not creating unnecessary work for other people, not being a bottleneck, not faking work. Work ethic is about being a fundamentally good person that others can count on and enjoy working with.
–Jason Fried, Founder & CEO at Basecamp
As a team, we strongly believe in work ethic as explained in the above quote and consider it the basis of how every successful surefooter will operate.
operations manager role and requirements
As an operations manager at surefoot, your daily interactions will mostly consist of conversations with our 2 co-founders, Brian and Laura, as well as various 3rd party vendors. We’re 4 years strong, but still very much a growing startup. We’ll look to you to wear a number of hats and help keep the wheels on the bus through organization, efficiency, and planning.
Tasks you may find yourself doing in this role include:
- sending new hire gifts
- setting up surefoot as a foreign corp in new states we hire in
- writing initial job postings, keeping our WordPress site updated and helping with recruiting
- scheduling calls, travel (someday, we hope!) and appointments for founders
- creating sales contracts and send for redlines and signature
- updating onboarding documentation, handbook, etc. to keep current
- scheduling team events and culture stuff
- compiling client/employee satisfaction surveys
- coordinating client holiday gifts
- planning team all-hands
- 1% for the Planet & Climate Neutral certification tracking & process
- town hall agenda prep and planning
- …and more!
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Are detail-oriented AF. If you see a grammatical error in this post, you’ll have a hard time not pointing it out.
- Feel a visceral reaction to poor/lack of organization. You probably have your closet organized by color.
- Find purpose and pride in helping the team win. You weren’t the star forward written up in the local paper every weekend. You were the hard-working, heads-down defender ensuring the ball never reached the goalie (more “guts over glory”-type personality).
- Are conversational, friendly and able to talk to most anyone without hesitation (but you exercise good judgement if someone drives by in a white van and offers you free candy).
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit and enjoy siloed remote work with a social component.
- Enjoy making decisions and can confidently do so without hand-holding or regular direction.
- Subscribe to the theory that variety is the spice of life and enjoy using both sides of your brain to tackle many different types of projects in a day.
- 2+ years of professional experience as an operations manager, executive assistant, chief of staff or similar.
- experience with software like Asana and Airtable, and a general tech savvy / ability to independently and quickly learn new tools and platforms.
- experience building Powerpoint/Google Slides/Keynote presentations
- high “give a damn” factor – you care about the quality of your work and do what you say you’re going to do.
- high emotional intelligence.
- experience with tools like Gusto, Slack, WordPress, Gmail, etc.
- hobbies outside of work
- interest in the outdoors or staying active (many of our clients fall into the outdoors and active lifestyle industry)
- funny GIF library, good emoji usage, sense of humor
salary and benefits details
- Hourly rate depends on experience
- Select benefits (paid vacation, 11 paid holidays, self-care bonuses, all-hands trips, fully remote team, Climate Neutral smart thermostat reimbursement, $250 learning budget and more!)
- The position is currently part-time W-2 in an hourly capacity but has the ability to become full-time as the company and your interest continue to grow.
- The position is open to U.S.-based applicants only. No Visa sponsorship is provided.
our values and culture
Our values are extremely important to us and we stake the company on them. This means that even the Grand Poobah of ops managers won’t be considered if our values don’t align.
give a damn. In case you haven’t noticed, this is a big one for us and we put it front-and-center in everything we do. We give a damn about our clients and refuse to waiver on doing what is best for them, even if it means less upside for us. We give a damn about our work, so we always go the extra mile to ensure we are proud of the things we stamp our names on. We give a damn about each other, so we strive to infuse kindness throughout our interactions – with clients, each other, our communities, and all those we meet. And finally, we give a damn about the environment, which is why we’re proudly Climate Neutral and partners of 1% For The Planet.
own your mistakes, learn from them, and move on. Our preferred path is to “fail fast”. In other words, identify your mistakes, take ownership, discuss what you learned, identify solutions for ways to correct them so they don’t happen again, and move on.
channel your inner entrepreneur. If a process or task is hindering you in some way, don’t wait to be asked to fix it. Like Nike says, Just Do It™. Make it work for you. Experiment. You’re a smart, capable person so don’t ask permission. Arrive with a well-thought-out solution that makes it easy for everyone to say “yes” to, you smarty, you.
ready to apply?
Since we are a remote team, we have a somewhat atypical interview process. For the first step of the interview phase, we ask applicants to show basic competency in the necessary skill sets.
If all is well there, you’ll move on to phase two which involves a Zoom video call to get to know one another a bit better. If we’re feeling good about that, we’ll contact your references.
And finally, if your references check out and confirm you’re not a stabber, we’ll ask you to do some actual paid work with us to determine fit for both parties.
To apply, submit our application form with the following:
- your responses to these 3 short exercises.
- relevant experience you have with operations, particularly in a startup or fast-paced environment.
- contact info for 3-4 references (will only be contacted if you move through phase 1)
All applicants will receive a response. surefoot is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.