hi there, thanks for stopping by.
What follows is a bit lengthy, but will give you a better idea of what we do, what this role entails and how to apply.
what we do
We’re a boutique growth agency that gives a damn about our work, our clients, our people, and doing the right thing. We specialize in:
- user experience research and design
- full-service a/b testing and personalization (aka conversion rate optimization)
- data analytics
about your role and team
If you would rather feel trusted to use your expertise and problem-solve than have your manager hawking over your shoulder micromanaging you, keep reading! Here at surefoot, we hire smart, entrepreneurially-minded folks and get out of their way so they have the space to deliver real value to our clients. Leave the wasted time, infighting and red tape to someone else. You didn’t become a developer to deal with that stress mess day in and day out!
As an engineer at surefoot, you’ll work closely with product managers, project managers, designers and QA to build tests the team has prioritized for e-commerce clients like Hydro Flask, Peak Design, OXO, Made In and others. This is a unique front-end role, as you’ll be writing code that is inserted into websites via 3rd party testing tools like Dynamic Yield, Convert or Google Optimize. Ethical hacking, of sorts. Something important we want you to know ahead of time is that this job is a bit different than your standard front-end gig. You won’t be working on a single app or feature for several months. Instead, you’ll be writing smaller chunks of code on a lot of different projects for a variety of clients. One day it could be an exit intent modal, the next could be restructuring a nav – the possibilities are endless. Your code will sometimes (often) be part of a losing test and never see the light of production, which is one reason we value efficiency over perfect, beautiful code.
Internally, you’ll enjoy collaborating with kind, supportive co-workers who respect you and your time – both at and away from the virtual office. You’ll be recognized by peers, leadership and clients for your curiosity and attention to detail, which are critical to your success. In fact, “do the bare minimum”, dependent personalities don’t last long here. Nor do people with “that’s not in my job description” attitudes. When smart people collaborate instead of compete and bring solutions instead of problems, amazing things happen.
Speaking of collaboration, that’s something you’ll occasionally do with our clients. We bend over backwards (but not forwards) to make sure they’re happy. Our goal is to be the best, most helpful agency they’ve ever worked with. To help us achieve that goal, we encourage you to share and celebrate your authentic self day in-and-day-out with co-workers and clients alike. Even if it means letting your “weird” show every once in awhile.
We’ll be honest; surefoot isn’t for everyone. We encourage and expect you to use your expertise, make decisions without a lot of oversight, go above and beyond to help a teammate or client, spend time to thoughtfully communicate asynchronously, and manage your own work schedule. If you’re a humble team player who likes to see and contribute to the success of something greater than yourself, then we want you to apply. Now.
a day in the life of a front-end engineer
- start your morning with a cup o’ joe and fire up your computer to check emails, Slack and Asana.
- it’s 10:30am CST, time for our team Zoom stand-up to chit chat with teammates a bit, then talk through your priorities for the day and any blockers.
- shortly after stand-up, you begin working on the big test in your queue – a navigation redesign for mobile and desktop devices.
- once you’ve added the necessary events and configured the test in the testing tool, you’ll pass it off to QA and take a break to refill your coffee or participate in some witty banter (complete with GIFs and custom emojis) in #watercooler.
- as the day nears it’s end, you’ll patch a few bugs identified in QA, send the test to the strategic director for review and answer a few questions in Asana from your teammates about test details.
- it’s the first Wednesday of the month, so grab your beverage of choice and wrap up the day with the team at a Zoom virtual happy hour!
- 2+ years experience as a front-end developer
- ability to communicate clearly and concisely with good “email voice”
- curious attitude and a desire to creatively problem solve
- Git and command line proficiency
- past experience developing for mobile, desktop and tablet
- self-motivation, ability to work independently and remotely, the desire to continuously learn and grow
- hobbies outside of work
- experience with testing tools like Optimizely, Convert, Dynamic Yield or others
- experience with Google Analytics
- familiarity with or understanding of frameworks like React, Node and Angular
- funny GIF library, good emoji usage, sense of humor
salary and benefits
The position is full-time W-2 and open to U.S.-based applicants only. No Visa sponsorship is provided.
- Base salary: $80,000 to $100,000 (depending on experience)
- Benefits and perks:
- fully-remote team (even pre-COVID!)
- health insurance – we pay 80% of your premium, up to $400
- 2.5 weeks paid vacation to start (more accrued annually)
- $2,000 technology / WFH office budget
- 11 paid holidays
- two 1/2 day Fridays per month
- self-care bonuses
- company-paid all-hands trips
- Climate Neutral smart thermostat reimbursement
- new hire and client referral bonuses
- $400 learning budget
- client discounts
- …more as the company grows, with your input solicited on benefits that matter to you!
ready to apply?
Since we are a fully remote team, we have a somewhat atypical interview process. For the first step of the interview phase, we ask applicants to show basic competency in the necessary skill sets (don’t worry, no hazing a la “live code fizzbuzz” is involved).
If all is well there, you’ll move on to phase two which involves a Zoom video call to get to know one another a bit better. If we’re feeling good about that, we’ll contact your references.
And finally, if your references check out and confirm you’re not a stabber, we’ll ask you to do some actual paid work with us to determine fit for both parties.
To apply, go to our application form ready to submit the following:
- A link to your GitHub, StackOverflow, or other dev profile
- Any relevant experience you have with A/B testing
- Paste a link to your code from this exercise
All applicants will receive a response. We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds foster a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better business results. We strive to create workplaces that reflect the clients we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are also committed to working with candidates from all ability levels throughout the recruitment process to ensure they have what they need to be at their best. If you need accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact [email protected] to begin a conversation about your individual accessibility needs throughout the hiring process.