Hi there, thanks for stopping by.
What follows is a bit lengthy, but will give you a better idea of what we do, what we value and how we work.
Work ethic is about showing up, being on time, being reliable, doing what you say you’re going to do, being trustworthy, putting in a fair day’s work, respecting the work, respecting the customer, respecting the organization, respecting co-workers, not wasting time, not making work hard for other people, not creating unnecessary work for other people, not being a bottleneck, not faking work. Work ethic is about being a fundamentally good person that others can count on and enjoy working with.
–Jason Fried, Founder & CEO at Basecamp
what we do
You know those websites that make it impossible to add an item to your cart, sign up for a newsletter or enter your credit card information? Sooo frustrating, right?! Instead of buying the pants or entering your email, you throw up your hands, mutter a curse word or two and immediately head over to YouTube to watch cat videos.
At surefoot, we make life easier for web surfers and shoppers like you.
We ease user frustrations, improve conversions and craft data stories that help our clients make sound, data-informed business decisions.
How, you ask?
In short, we formulate hypotheses based on data from sources like Google Analytics, HotJar and customer service data, which allow us to identify the biggest friction points on our clients’ sites. Then, we validate or invalidate our hypotheses in the form of A/B tests, whose results we analyze to determine the optimal site experience.
front end A/B test engineer role and requirements
As a Front End A/B Test Engineer, you’ll work closely with strategic directors, account managers, designers and QA to build tests the team has prioritized for our clients. This is a unique front-end role, as you’ll be writing code that is inserted into websites via 3rd party testing tools like Optimizely, Convert or Google Optimize. Ethical hacking, of sorts.
**Something important we want you to know ahead of time is that this job is a bit different than your standard front-end gig. You won’t be working on a single app or feature for several months. Instead, you’ll be writing smaller chunks of code on a lot of different projects for a variety of clients. One day it could be an exit intent modal, the next could be restructuring a nav – the possibilities are endless. Your code will sometimes (often) be part of a losing test and never see the light of production, which is one reason we value efficiency over perfect, beautiful code.
TL;DR – if you’re someone who enjoys endless refactoring and the idea of writing “throwaway code” gives you heart palpitations, this job probably won’t light your fire.
a day in the life of a surefoot engineer:
- start your morning with a cup o’ joe and fire up your computer to check emails, Slack and Asana.
- it’s 10:00am CST, time for our team Zoom stand-up to chit chat with teammates a bit, then talk through the day’s priorities.
- shortly after stand-up, you begin working on the big test in your queue – a navigation redesign for mobile and desktop devices.
- once you’ve added the necessary events and configured the test in the testing tool, you’ll pass it off to QA and take a break to refill your coffee or participate in some witty banter (complete with GIFs and custom emojis) in #watercooler.
- as the day nears it’s end, you’ll patch a few bugs identified in QA, send the test to the strategic director for review and answer a few questions in Asana from your teammates about test details.
- it’s the first Wednesday of the month, so grab your beverage of choice and wrap up the day with the team at a Zoom virtual happy hour!
If you’re still with us, here are the requirements:
- Able to communicate clearly and concisely with good “email voice”
- Git and command line proficiency
- Past experience developing for mobile, desktop and tablet
- Self-motivation, ability to work independently and remotely, the desire to continuously learn and grow
- Hobbies outside of work
- Experience with testing tools like Optimizely, Convert, Dynamic Yield or others
- Experience with Google Analytics
- Familiarity or understanding of frameworks like React, Node and Angular
- Funny GIF library, good emoji usage, sense of humor
nitty gritty details
- Base salary: $105,000 to $115,000 (depending on experience)
- 35-40 hours / week
- Benefits: health insurance, paid vacation and holidays, half-day Fridays, self-care bonuses, all-expenses paid all-hands trips, fully remote team, additional benefits as we grow.
- The position is open to US-based applicants only. No Visa sponsorship is provided.
our values and culture
give a damn. In case you haven’t noticed, this is a big one for us and we put it front-and-center in everything we do. We give a damn about our clients and refuse to waver on doing what is best for them, even if it means less upside for us. We give a damn about our work, so we always go the extra mile to ensure we are proud of the things we stamp our names on. We give a damn about each other, so we strive to infuse kindness throughout our interactions – with clients, each other, our communities and all those we meet. And finally, we give a damn about the environment, which is why we’re proudly Climate Neutral and partners of 1% For The Planet.
own your mistakes, learn from them and move on. Our preferred path is to “fail fast”. In other words, identify your mistakes, take ownership, discuss what you learned, identify solutions for ways to correct them so they don’t happen again and move on.
channel your inner entrepreneur. If a process or task is hindering you in some way, don’t wait to be asked to fix it. Like Nike says, Just Do It™. Make it work for you. Experiment. You’re a smart, capable person so don’t ask permission. Arrive with a well-thought-out solution that makes it easy for everyone to say “yes” to, you smarty, you.
ready to apply?
Since we are a fully remote team, we have a somewhat atypical interview process. For the first step of the interview phase, we ask applicants to show basic competency in the necessary skill sets (don’t worry, no hazing a la “live code fizzbuzz” is involved).
If all is well there, you’ll move on to phase two which involves a Zoom video call to get to know one another a bit better. If we’re feeling good about that, we’ll contact your references.
And finally, if your references check out and confirm you’re not a stabber, we’ll ask you to do some actual paid work with us to determine fit for both parties.
To apply, go to our application form ready to submit the following:
- Your desired hourly rate and amount of time you’re available per week
- A link to your GitHub, StackOverflow, or other dev profile
- Any relevant experience you have with A/B testing
- Paste a link to your code from this exercise
All applicants will receive a response. surefoot is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.