hi there, thanks for stopping by.
What follows is a bit lengthy, but will give you a better idea of what we do, what this role entails and how to apply.
what we do
We’re a boutique growth agency that gives a damn about our work, our clients, our people, and doing the right thing. We specialize in:
- user experience research and design
- full-service a/b testing and personalization (aka conversion rate optimization)
- data analytics
data scientist role and requirements
If you would rather feel trusted to use your expertise and problem-solve than have someone hawking over your shoulder micromanaging you, keep reading! Here at surefoot, we hire smart, entrepreneurially-minded folks and get out of their way so they have the freedom and space to deliver real value to our clients. No one wants to waste time nit-picking annoying details and finger-pointing in meetings all day, especially not you!
As a data scientist at surefoot, you’ll provide deep insights into the impacts of A/B tests and emails on our clients’ businesses. You’ll regularly find yourself analyzing large datasets for e-commerce clients like Hydro Flask, Peak Design, Made In, OXO and more to identify patterns, friction points and key opportunities. Occasionally, you may find yourself in web analytics tools like Google Analytics or Adobe Analytics to create reports or extract data. There is a strong mentorship component to this role, so it’s important you are patient and have the ability to remove your “expert blinders” and clearly articulate complex concepts.
Internally, you will work closely with kind, supportive co-workers who respect you and your time – both at and away from the virtual office. You will be given trust and autonomy to problem solve and your creativity and hard work will be recognized by peers, leadership, and clients. We believe when smart people collaborate instead of compete and bring solutions instead of problems, amazing things happen.
You will occasionally collaborate with our clients. We believe in bending over backwards (but not forwards) to make sure they’re happy. Our goal is to be the best, most helpful agency they’ve ever worked with. To help us achieve that goal, we encourage you to share and celebrate your authentic self day in-and-day-out with co-workers and clients alike. Even if it means letting your “weird” show every once in awhile.
We’ll be honest; surefoot isn’t for everyone. We expect you to use your expertise, make decisions without a lot of oversight, go above and beyond to help a teammate or client, spend time to thoughtfully communicate asynchronously, and manage your own work schedule. If you’re a humble team player who likes to see and contribute to the success of something greater than yourself, then we want you to apply. Now.
a day in the life of a data scientist
No two days will look alike in this role, and you may find yourself doing the following in a typical day:
- aggregating and analyzing disparate datasets, including web analytics, customer, and marketing data to draw conclusions and deliver actionable insights.
- using ggplot to create visualizations of A/B test data.
- troubleshooting root causes of sample-ratio mismatch, events firing multiple times, etc. in Google Analytics
- analyzing complex, multi-step product quizzes.
- joining user-level data from multiple sources using APIs, Cloud Functions, and built in platform integrations to build user propensity models and product recommenders.
- mentoring junior employees with an interest in data science and analytics
- conducting market basket analysis, cohort analysis and decile analysis
- …and more!
- 2+ years experience analyzing digital marketing, advertising and e-commerce data
- interest and excitement about mentoring others and sharing your expertise and knowledge
- basic understanding of statistics, analysis of multiple datasets, time-series data
- deep knowledge of Google Analytics and Google Analytics R packages
- GA enhanced e-commerce experience (beyond basic shopping stages)
- data visualization experience (the technical part of cleaning and transforming data into a useable format)
- experience with cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud
- ability to troubleshoot analytics tools (Heap, GA, etc.)
- experience writing regexes, specifically in GA
- degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Business Analytics or related field quantitative field
- experience with market basket analysis and analysis applicable to e-commerce
salary and benefits
The position is part-time W2 (or 1099 if preferred) and open to U.S.-based applicants only. No Visa sponsorship is provided.
- Hourly rate is $80-$100/hour, depending on experience.
- Self care bonuses
- Client discounts
- $400 learning budget
- $250 certification bonus
- client / employee referral bonuses
- all-hands company gathering
- The position is currently part-time and offers 40-50 hours/month. This has the potential to grow as the company (and your interest!) do.
- The position is open to U.S.-based applicants only. No Visa sponsorship is provided.
ready to apply?
We look forward to hearing from you! To apply, please submit our application form.
All applicants will receive a response. We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds foster a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better business results. We strive to create workplaces that reflect the clients we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work. We are an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are also committed to working with candidates from all ability levels throughout the recruitment process to ensure they have what they need to be at their best. If you need accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact [email protected] to begin a conversation about your individual accessibility needs throughout the hiring process.